Sunday, August 2, 2009

Be-Do-Have

Three simple words, right? Yet, they construct the framework of something so much larger than each word; set apart. You see, these three words have helped me improve in areas where improvement is both needed and welcomed.

Here is the extended version - In order for you to BE ___________, you need to DO _______, so you can HAVE _________. Obviously, the blanks are critical here. Let me break it down in a few areas.

If you are in sales, allow me to rephrase this as "To BE successful in Sales, you need to DO the things Successful salespeople do, in order for you to HAVE the things successful salespeople have." What are some of the things successful salespeople do? First, I would ask the, watch them, and take notes. For me, I DO things such as:

  • Take Notes
  • Appreciation Marketing
  • Follow Up Passionately
  • Dive into Personal and Professional Development
  • Become an Expert in my field

See, when I do these things (above) then I begin to get (HAVE) the closed sales, the increased commissions, the trust and respect of my customers/clients, etc. Yet, first, I had to SEE MYSELF AS A SUCCESSFUL SALES PROFESSIONAL. I had to BE successful FIRST..... It is a "vision thang."

Here is another one - "To BE a 10k runner, I have do DO the things runners do, so I can HAVE the stamina/completed 10K races, etc that runners have." It starts in the mind, in the vision and the belief that YOU ARE A RUNNER, then you would naturally DO THE THINGS RUNNERS DO....so you can have the things runners have. So what are the things runners do? Ask them, watch them, take notes. Here are a few

  • Diet - they eat the right foods and the right amount of foods so they can train
  • Train - they have a schedule when the run, the distance, speed, routine, etc
  • Equipment - they have the shoes, the shorts, the shirt, the whole package
  • Enroll in 10K races - they sign up early and often so they can complete for thier personal prize

OK, here is one I am personally working on - "To BE a GREAT HUSBAND, I need to DO the things great husbands do, so I can HAVE a Great Marriage." So what have I learned in this area? First, I have to see (visual again) that I am BECOMING a great husband, so I do:

  • Take an honest self-inventory of my strengths and character flaws
  • Read books on creating a great marriage
  • Network, hang out, ask questions from people who have a great marriage
  • Attend classes (when available) on create a great marriage

What is the end result here, a process where my marriage is becoming better. It is not 100% there, it is a work in progress and it is moving in a forward direction. Why, because I made the choice to move / improve.

BE ==> DO ==> HAVE 3 simple words, yet when mixed together, so very powerful for people who are reaching for their goals, their dreams, and their future.

1 comment:

Janine McBee said...

Sweet and simple. Stay passionate my friend!